Monday, March 21, 2011

Test Scores: Plain and Simple

"When I die, I want my standardized test score,
Every one of them, carved into my gravestone."

"When I retire from teaching, I want my students to
Remember me as the teacher who increased their test scores."

"I am looking forward to the time my children become
School-age, so they will be exposed to high-stakes tests.
It will show them whether they will be a have or a have not."

"Who am I? I am the 75th percentile."

While assessing performance is a necessary part
Of determining progress,
A single "one fits all" assessment is incapable of
Capturing the intellectual growth of a person.

While accountability may be necessary when
Holding a large government institution in charge
Of serving the nation's children,
One person cannot be solely responsible
For its success or failure.
This is truly irresponsible.

We, as a nation, inadequately support the development
Of thoughtful citizens when we apply narrow-minded agendas;
Ironically, we perpetuate the mis-education of millions of students
And their teachers,
All in the name of accountability.

Accountable to whom?
Accountability to what?
Turning a complex context like teaching
And learning into a simple formula
Is counter-intuitive.
Plain
and
Simple.

1 comment:

  1. At this time of year as I prepare my kids for end of grade testing (when I should be celebrating Poetry month)....I can't help but wonder how anyone can possibly think that high stakes testing holds us teachers accountable.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any thoughts...