Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Consequence of Unrequited Love


I dreamt of you the other day.
Now I can’t rid my mind’s eye of your face.
It’s not that you were the one who got away.
You are the one who chose not to stay.

A lifetime later you still remain
Deep in my heart, the memories don’t seem to fade.
Sorrowful tears trigger my shame
Of a past when my soul lost its way.

Then I remember the love that was made,
And I wonder how you have aged.
And if we met, would things be the same?
These imaginary moments float away
As events of married life and children distract my brain.

It's odd how we have walked parallel lives.
Do you remember how our coincidental encounters
Became more purposeful over time?
Once acquaintances, then friends, then lovers
Was our end always your endeavor?

Answer me!
This is my last plea
For help out of Wonderment
Where the ache of letting go diminishes quickly,
Where I can reclaim my dignity.


Here again, I see you in the flesh.
This connection never ceases to end.
The echo of loss rumbles through my chest.
Spinning my psyche into unrest.
My questions of the past are muted.
It takes days to recover from this disturbance.


Had I known the consequence of unrequited love...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any thoughts...